This is a gruesome tale and revolves around the incomprehensible and shocking death of Ashok Santra, resident of village Santoshpur, P.S. Jangipara, District: Hooghly, West Bengal, in
Sheikh Muzaffar, longtime friend of Ashok and also engaged in the same industry, owns a jewelry shop in
On 12/02/11 at 9 pm Ashok phoned his wife and the talk among the couple centered on casual issues like his preparations for that night’s dinner. After a few moments he said his wife that some of his friends were calling him. And the phone of Ashok was switched off. It was the last communication between Ashok Santra and his family in
Next day, 13/02/11, Sukur Ali, brother of Sheikh Muzaffar, informed Ashok’s family that Ashok, getting intoxicated, fell from stairs of a house (close to Ashok’s abode in Srinagar) on last (12/07/11) night, and got heavy injury in his head. He also informed that Ashok’s condition, due to the accident, was at stake. The news was enough to send a shudder through the backbone of Santra family and when Sukur was phoned before long, he asked Ashok’s family members to reach
Ashu Santra, brother of Ashok and also a jewelry worker working in
On 18/02/11, Sheikh Muzaffar and Khokon Santra, young brother of Ashok, reached
On 22/02/11, Ashok Santra succumbed to death at 10.15 am finally. Both of his brothers, Ashu and Khokon, were firm to take Ashok’s deceased body to Santoshpur and their insistence annoyed Muslims, including Sheikh Muzaffar, heavily. The reason of their annoyance is yet to be known but strikingly Kashmir Goldsmiths Association, under auspices of Muzaffar, agreed to pay an amount of 2 lakhs to the bereaved family of Ashok only if the deceased body was cremated in
Meanwhile, villagers of Santoshpur back home in Hooghly,
Mohan Santra, father of deceased Ashok, talked to Officer-in-Charge, P.S. Jangipara in the intervening time. But the response of police was indeed misleading. Not only Mohan was informed that it had already been late but he was also precluded from moving farther. As per Tapas Brati Chakraborty, then O.C., timely information could have led to post-mortem examination of the corpse in
When the corpse was brought to Santoshpur, a 1 ft. (at least) long deep wound (stretching from navel towards the chest) was found. This made villagers suspicious of factors behind Ashok’s death. But nothing could be elucidated by aghast brothers of Ashok, Ashu Santra and Khokon Santra. The corpse was cremated in the village conforming to Hindu religious rituals.
But the incident refuses to end here since a few questions, remaining unanswered yet, have come to the fore.
- Who were Ashok’s friends calling him in the fateful night?
- Why was such an intoxicated person not escorted while coming down through stairs?
- Who did admit Ashok Santra to the hospital?
- Why Ashu Santra could not find any well-wisher of Ashok in the hospital?
- Why did 3 Hindus working in jewelry shop in Srianagar, hailing from Midnapore, prefer to remain tight-lipped on the whole?
- Why was Kashmir Goldsmiths Association ready to pay amount of 2 lakhs to the bereaved family of Ashok? Does cremation of a Hindu in
Srinagarmatter to Muslims in Kashmirstill?
- Why did Sheikh Muzaffar stop helping the entire procedure all of a sudden?
- What was the reason behind 1 ft. long deep wound in Ashok Santra’s body?
- Why was Mohan Santra prevented from proceeding more?
- The post-mortem examination could have been done in Bengal too, if not in
. Why was local police reluctant to conduct it then? Srinagar
- Was local police influenced by Sheikh Muzaffar and his cohorts already?
- Was Ashok’s kidney or any other organ taken out meanwhile? Was the deep wound resembling any form of clandestine surgical operation?
Without a shred of doubt Ashok Santra became a victim of venomous Islamic revulsion to Hindus. Circumstantial evidences point towards the same, indisputably.
Would other Hindus going to